STORY – 1
DIRECTOR – 1
ACTOR – 1
MUSIC – 0
CULT – 1
Verdict – 4/5
1) A surreal adventure. A semi-prophetic story from Cronenberg exploring the advent of TV as a tool to control the mind of the viewer.
2) CGI: belly-slit sequences, the gun’s fusion with Max’s hand
3) The scary subplot of Cathode Ray Mission – where homeless people are made to binge TV.
4) Body-horror – not palatable for weak-hearted
1) The climax is not ambiguous but confusing.
Brian O’Blivion: The battle for the mind of North America will be fought in the video arena: the Videodrome. The television screen is the retina of the mind’s eye. Therefore, the television screen is part of the physical structure of the brain. Therefore, whatever appears on the television screen emerges as raw experience for those who watch it. Therefore, television is reality, and reality is less than television.