STORY – 1
DIRECTOR – 1
ACTOR – 1
MUSIC – 1
CULT – 1
VERDICT – 5/5
1) A mysterious drifter tries to settle down with a homestead family but a greedy cattle baron makes him revisit his violent past.
2) While it appears as a plain old western story of good vs evil, it’s definitely more than that. The young kid (Joey) idolizes Shane and to ensure that Joey’s hope remains unbroken, he pretends to leave the valley in the climactic scene where in reality he’s clearly mortally wounded. His final message to Joey was to be not like him.
3) The cinematography in the scenic valley is breathtaking.
4) One of the most “American” movies I have ever seen.
5) While the movie provides a strong non-violence message, the gun-fighting scenes are incredible. The technique used to show the impact of being shot is influencing all leading action directors to date.
Shane: A man has to be what he is, Joey. Can’t break the mould. I tried it and it didn’t work for me.