STORY – 1
DIRECTOR – 1
ACTOR – 1
MUSIC – 0
CULT – 0
VERDICT – 3/5
1) A penniless violinist is dismissed from Paris Opera House after working there for 20 yrs. To make the matter worse, he was anonymously funding for voice lessons of a young soprano whom he secretly loved. After a misunderstanding, he ends up killing a publisher and got his face scarred by acid. Now wanted for murder, and dwelling in the opera’s underground sewer, his sole purpose is to establish the singing career if his love interest in the opera even at the cost of murdering any competition.
2) Watching the movie in Technicolor is always a charm.
3) Nelson Eddy & Edgar Barrier as the two suitors in love with Christine DuBois, made it appear like romantic-comedy.
1) Unlike The Phantom of the Opera (1962), the movie follows a chronological order leaving no thrill/suspense for the audiences. Also, the title character Erique Claudin is not a victim but just an obsessive lover.
2) Claude Rains as Erique Claudin/The Phantom Of The Opera is sidelined as a supporting character.
“Are you suggesting that we re open the Opera with a murder as an added attraction?”