STORY – 1
DIRECTOR – 1
ACTOR – 1
MUSIC – 0
CULT – 1
VERDICT – 4/5
1) An Italian bouncer with a huge appetite employed by an uptight gay negro pianist in 1960s United States for a musical concert tour.
2) From the director of one of the funniest road-movie Dumb and Dumber (1994) comes another heartful road-movie addressing racism.
3) The allegation of this movie being a “white savior” movie is absurd. If this is a “white savior” movie, The Intouchables (2011) should be regarded as a “black savior” movie. The themes are strikingly similar.
4) Viggo Mortensen and Mahershala Ali both deserved Oscars for their roles. Viggo’s physical transformation was unbelievable.
1) Music of a biopic about a musician could’ve much better.
Tony Lip: You know, Doc, something’s been eatin’ at me this whole trip.
Dr. Don Shirley: Hmm?
Tony Lip: That Titsburgh was a major disappointment. I didn’t notice any difference at all.