STORY – 1
DIRECTOR – 1
ACTOR – n/a
MUSIC – 1
CULT – 1
VERDICT – 4/4
1) The horrors of War in those trenches. Definitive First World War documentary.
2) This documentary is a triumph, an homage to the greatest generation of Britain. A story much needed to be told.
3) Initial 25 minutes in Black&White, snapping to colour the moment the troops landed the battlefields and switching back to Black&White once the war ends.
4) The intense close combat sequence narrated by soldiers with the first-hand experience through “The War Illustrated” magazine.
5) End credits: “Mademoiselle from Armentières”
“The only thing that really did annoy me was, when I went back to work after I’d got demobilised, I went down the stores, and the bloke behind the counter was a bloke who I knew. He said, “Where have you been ? On nights ?”